Tuesday, September 23, 2008

One more day

I have but one more day left to be at home with the family full time. It is hard to fathom leaving this little child, this wonderful wife and heading back to work. It has been such a pleasure, such a blast and such an experience learning what little I know about parenthood over the past two weeks.

We've had the pleasure of company. So many of our friends have stopped by to look in on us, to meet Emiko, to share in our joy. And we appreciate all of them. It has been quite the experience. Two friends have done more than their fair share of looking after us. Cheryl has stopped by to help out and look after us. Molly has been here since before day one, looking after the house and Gibson. I can only hope that they both realize our eternal gratitude for all their help. I hope they know that we love them both dearly. As I write this, I think of Molly kicking us out of our living room last night and sending Mom and Dad to bed as she looked after Emi. True friendship.

Which makes me think about family. We live many miles and hours from our parents and siblings. Our aunts and uncles, cousins, everyone, they are all so far away. We rely heavily on the help of our friends, who have in their own right, become our family. Surrogate aunties and uncles all. But it makes me sad to think that our family is so far away that they will only be afforded a few weeks of visits in the months and years to come.

This is something I'd love to change. I'd love to have both our parents living close by where they could feel free to stop in and visit any time they would like to. The only way that I see this happening is for us to move back to Maine. And as nice as that would be, I can see right now that it won't happen. We have come to love Colorado. We have come to see it as home. Everything about this state suits us and we hope now that we can pass this "joie de vivre" along to our distant family and hope that they come home to us.

And now I find I have strayed far from my original topic. One more day. I question how to fill it up and make it special as our last day together. I can cook dinner. I can do a little more work around the house. I can make sure mother and daughter are comfortable and prepared for my absence. We can visit with our friends, unencumbered by the need to focus on work.

But you know what I really want? Just to hold Emi while I sit next to Hope with Gibson at our feet and pretend that the day will not end. We can all take a nap together. We can all take a walk together. We can just be. And we can hope that we will all have one more day.

No comments: