Wednesday, September 17, 2008

It's not the same, right?

A quick run to the supermarket this evening to pick up dinner stuff, snack stuff, yada yada yada.

When I arrived at the checkout line, I exchanged pleasantries with the checker and the bagger. Then the bagger sneezed, right as the food was traveling down the little belt to her. She covered her mouth and had a quick one. Then she started bagging.

I was shocked. I asked, as politely as I could, "did you just sneeze into your hand?"

She replied that she had and then said that she should probably go wash her hands.

She walked away and I began bagging. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw her use a little hand sanitizer and then she walked back over and took over bagging.

Now, I kept my mouth shut. But it isn't the same, right? If you sneeze, you wash your hands. With soap and water. A little hand sanitizer does not do the same thing, right?

Tell me I'm wrong....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Seth,
You're okay if the supermarket hand sanitizer was greater than 60% alcohol- 70-95% is best. Personally, I prefer regular old soap and water to depleting the natural bug population that lives on my hands but alcohol is effective, according to the CDC. It also can make small children sick when they ingest just a little bit of it; it's something like 125 proof! -KK

fibby said...

From my online tutorial at the hospital where I am now employed...

Alcohol handrubs
–Require less time
–More effective for standard hand hygiene than soap and water
–More accessible than sinks
–Improved skin condition

CDC now calls for its use as the primary mode of hand hygiene except when hands are visibly soiled.