Monday, August 4, 2008

The best laid plans...

A little Burns for you this evening.

We had so much planned out for today. I was to go riding in Nederland after work. Hope was headed to her pre-natal aerobics class after a day of relaxing.

I had a busy day at work. Couple this with watching a grass fire erupt from a lightening strike on Green Mountain this afternoon and I was left feeling too small to fix a flat tire and drive the sixty minutes to Ned.

But compound this with the fact that Hope was called in for jury duty today. Ignore the fact that she is 8.5 months pregnant and needing to pee every 45 minutes. What happens? She is the first choice for both the prosecution and defense teams on what is guaranteed to be at least a 3 day criminal trial. Needless to say, she had a long and emotionally trying day listening to the opening arguments and the victim's testimony.

By the time she got out, she drove the 3 minutes from the court to Yeti's office and took some time to unwind. We decided that Ned and the gym were not in the cards for us this evening. We headed off to fill up our tank's tank and talked about heading down to Denver for a nice Indian meal since we had not planned a dinner at home tonight. As I watched the dollars float by on the pump, I came to the conclusion that driving to Denver simply to eat out was not the best use of our fuel budget or gasoline in general (wow...I'm starting to go ever greener).

We headed to a local restaurant (yes Jeff...Malone's) and enjoyed a nice dinner together. We discussed our plans for the next three days and how Hope sitting in a juror's box would change all that we had laid out. Gone was the opportunity to ride my bike to work tomorrow. Gone was Hope's chance to seal the grout in our upstairs bathroom. Gone was Ned. Gone was the gym. But not all was negative. We had the chance to spend some quality time together on a night when we didn't plan on seeing each other until our heads hit our pillows.

We were home while it was still light out. I set up an area for Hope to work on her computer in our driveway and I collected my tools to finish painting the trim for the upstairs window. It was so warm that my coats were almost dry by the time I finished painting so I climbed my ladder and hung the trim around our upstairs bathroom window (yeah...cross another one off the honey-do list...five months later). Hope worked on a poetry paper and read some wonderful pieces that she had written over the years. Together, we reflected on her words, her images and the songs of her soul while we collected our tools and retired to our house.

I don't so much mind when my plans are ruined for a night spent together. I'd be happy if the rest of my life was spent breaking such plans just to spend a few more minutes together like tonight. Sometimes the best laid plans aren't necessarily the best ones after all.

No comments: