Friday, August 15, 2008

Freedom

I had to run an errand for work this morning. As I was being shuttled to the Ford dealership to pick up our F-550, we stopped to pick up a breakfast burrito at a nice little breakfast shack (trailer really).

As I stood in the rain waiting for my burrito, I heard peals of laughter and children's voices coming from behind me. I turned to watch the kiddos riding their tiny bikes in circles in the church parking lot across the street. Laughing in the rain. I stood there grinning as it took me back.

Remember when we were growing up and your bike was a symbol of freedom for you? You could ride where ever you wanted to, it was faster than walking and you did not have to get a parent to drive you? I remember riding to the store, to school, to our friends down the road, to the stream and to the bog. Riding, even in just the driveway, was freedom.

And so I stood and watched these kids exercising their freedom in their world and I had a sudden epiphany. I still ride my bike, I still grin and laugh while pedaling, I still look to stretch the bounds of my personal freedom on two wheels.

I just ride in bigger circles.

No comments: