Thursday, August 21, 2008

A morning rant

I broke my skates many weeks ago. This really isn't such a big issue, the housing (the carrier that attaches the blade to the boot) is cracking again. Yes, again. My$500+ skates went through two sets of carriers over the course of one year. But that really isn't the issue either.

I contacted a local pro shop at one of the rinks I work in on a regular basis about getting a newer style carrier that is supposed to be more durable but maintains the light weight and slightly longer steel that my skates use.

As an aside, the longer steel makes for a much more efficient glide. It doesn't turn as quickly but I no longer need it to as an official. I've been wearing my "player" skates at it is amazing the amount of extra energy it takes to sustain speed and stability simply because the shape of the blade has less contact with the ice.

Back to the rant. Four weeks ago I asked for new housings. It then took about two weeks to get a response from the pro shop manager just to verify that something had been ordered. Two more weeks go by before I get another call saying that the new housings are in. I dropped my skates off on Monday and was told that they would work on them the following day. I go in last night to ask for my skates and nothing had happened. The story is that Bauer sent the wrong housing. Umm...OK...I understand mistakes, I can live with that. But why was I never informed? How hard is it to make a call?

Why are my skates still at this shop? I have half a mind to pick them up and go somewhere else. Four weeks is borderline ridiculousness. But then again, I waited ten months to have my Land Rover fixed after a collision with an elk.

Serenity now...

No comments: