Thursday, June 19, 2008

Things I love

News such as this make me happy.

I know I'm up way too late. But this just makes me giddy. I'm glad to see Maine is on the right side of the sword when it comes to homosexual rights. Cutting edge? No... but leading edge I can work with.

I told Hope years ago that I refused to marry until my gay friends were afforded the same right by our government. Granted, we all now know who wears the pants in this relationship but I still know that there is no reason they are denied the ultimate expression of their love in front of the families, friends and peers. The right wing party even managed to win an election by getting out the vote based on the pervasive Christian fear of homosexuality. I know, I know. Not ALL Christians...I wasn't talking about YOU.

Well, John Q. Public spoke up in Maine. $821 in contributions? "Yes for Marriage and Equality" is a joke. I can only hope their latent homophobia is dragged out to some far reach in Maine and left to rot in a swamp somewhere. Actually, that's too good a burial. Run it through the Portland sewage treatment plant and send those cleansed waters out to sea. The one thing that irks me is that they found 5,000 signatures to affix to their petition. Then again, that's what? .4% of the overall population? I know, we'll annex Coburn Gore to to Canada and let the Quebecois deal with them!

Let's usher in a new era. Somehow, we are going to fix this country one step at a time. I know we can't bend everyones vantage to our liberal panorama but hopefully we can at least let them see how an open mind will not destroy that which our founding fathers and mothers set forth for us oh so long ago. 

Thank you, my fellow Mainers, for helping lead the way in these uncertain times. Thank you for proving that a rural state can still be open minded. Thank you for making me smile and laugh so late at night. Thank you for doing the right thing. Thank you.

Next on the agenda... getting rid of Maine's "boiled lobster" license plate!

No comments: