Friday, June 13, 2008

One-Revolution

We all face challenges on a daily basis. I think of some of the small mountains I have had to surpass, that Hope has climbed, that my friends have passed over. Some things we focus on, some we feel are incredibly challenging. Some we never get past.

I received a package from an industry friend today filled with little goodies. A JetBoil, a nifty Sigg mug, a new belt from Mountain Khakis, some camping utensils and three rubber bracelets (One Life style) from One-Revolution. Of course, I looked at the JetBoil first, toys are always fun. I opened up the mug and realized it is a vacuum mug and will keep drinks hot for 6 hours. Then I put on the belt and played with the new fork, spoon and spatula. Last, I looked up One-Revolution.

It's safe to say now that I think the most valuable gift will be the bracelets. I don't see myself wearing them. But they have allowed Chris Waddell to, once again, raise my awareness. He went to school at Middlebury College a full 10 years before me. I knew of him while I was at Midd and his name has appeared in the years following graduation but I never really paid too much attention.

This is a guy who has overcome incredible adversity to remain at the top of his game in ski racing. C'mon, this guy captained the Middlebury ski team, a Division 1 team, during his senior year. As a paraplegic!

I am generally not overly awed by athletes. They do what they do and it can be incredible but not something that I would consider worthy of worship. What Chris has done is well beyond standard athletic prowess. He and a fellow named Eric Weihenmayer are worthy of that awe.

My 2 cents for the day? Wow.

No comments: