Monday, June 9, 2008

Bicycle Commuting

Part of the plan this summer is to commute to work by bike more frequently. This morning was the first opportunity to do so. Hope is now officially out of school though she is probably going to spend most of her day there. Thus, she can cart around the small horse we own. Granted, she is swinging Gibson by the office while she does a few things and then pick him up later on in the day.

An early morning ride can be such a surreal experience. I woke up this morning to low 50 degree weather. It is an easy 8.5 mile ride to work, not too much energy expended, not too much to think about and I can maintain a certain dreamlike state while sitting and simply turning my feet over. Just keep the bike straight, turn the tunes on low and glide my way to work. I have some alone time, no NPR squawking at me, no ton and a half vehicle to guide, no gasoline burned.

Sadly, in the 34 minutes, I didn't see any other cyclists. I saw 3 walkers, 2 folks sitting at the bus stop and 1 jogger. I thought that with gasoline hitting $4 a gallon, I'd see more folks riding to work. I thought that would be the trigger but maybe it's $5 a gallon.

No comments: