Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Travels with Emi

Wow, there is just so much to be said here. But I have to commend our young daughter for being such a trooper. There was just so much that she did so well.

Good stuff:

She woke up at four to leave the house without a fuss
She flew on airplanes without a fuss
She adjusted to a two hour time change without an issue
She slept in unfamiliar locations without an issue
She enjoyed being passed around to new people
We watched her develop new skills even as we travelled
She handled the cold without an issue
She met family and friends for the first time

Bad stuff:

Well...let's see. On the flight from Atlanta to Denver, she was wonderful. She slept almost the entire trip. However, right before we began our descent into Denver, she decided to poo. And poo she did. Right through her diaper. Right through her clothing. Right into Mom's sweater. So I took her to change her in one of the restrooms. But they were both occupied. So I stood at the back of the plane waiting until someone came out. When the first door opened, I found there was no changing station. So I stood in the back of the plane until the second door opened. I went in and the moment I set Emi down on the changing table, she began screaming. And her plug bounced off the toilet seat and onto the floor. So I had nothing to settle her down with. And as I began digging into the inside of her clothing, she screamed even louder and far more frantically than before. So loud that Mom heard her and came to knock on the door to see if all was well. It wasn't. I got her clean and then found poo had squirted up her back to her neck and thus used all the wipes I had available.

Did I mention the descent? Oh yes, as I entered the restroom, the pilot announced that we "were now beginning our descent into Denver." When is the last time YOU descended into Denver. I think I have experienced more buffeting coming into Denver than any other city.

So picture me now, wedging myself against the wall so I wouldn't fall over, holding Emi with one hand to make sure she went nowhere, trying to clean her up, change a diaper and put all new clothing on.

To answer Mom's question, it was not going well.

I eventually managed to fasten the diaper and carried her back to Mom and presented a mostly naked baby for her to put clothing on. I then went back to the washroom to clean poo off my hands, shirt, pants and whatever else she had managed to poo on.

Overall? I'd say it was a wonderful trip!

No comments: