Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Satisfaction

This ain't no Rolling Stones tune.
This ain't no disco tune either.
This is CO!

Hope and I have struggled for several months trying to figure out what we wanted to do about getting a new car. As hockey season drew to a close, the need for two Gibson and Emi vehicles lessened and I became prepared to drive the Saturn for the coming summer. My desire for a new car waned as I began to enjoy the idea of having a summer without extra car payments.

However, some of our best friends decided they wanted to sell their XC70 (these are the same best friends who sold us our current XC70 3 years ago...almost to the day!) and as we have had such good luck with our wagon, it piqued our interest. We began to talk to them about another purchase and then we were struck with the challenges Hope was facing at school. Our friends were kind enough to be patient while we sorted out Hope's future at Foothills (never fear, all is well) and today, they dropped off our "new" car.

Hope wasn't originally sold on getting another XC70. She was actually semi-interested in getting a different car. Until she drove it. As we headed home from the bank, she pulled up along side me, rolled down the window and shouted that her new car was nothing like our old car. She was far more comfortable and she even felt her visibility out of the car had improved as well.

Me? I won't argue with her, I'm just satisfied. Hope has grown up driving her father's shit boxes. Skip's cars were affordable, unreliable and often unsafe. They would leave you stranded at the most inconvenient times and I have heard stories about exhaust leaks that required the windows down in the dead of winter. Even the Saturn was a big step for her 6 years ago. I am now satisfied knowing she (and Emi) are riding in a safe and reliable vehicle. Expensive, yes but that satisfaction is well worth the price. I drove home from the bank with a smile on my face knowing we had made the right decision.

No comments: