Monday, April 27, 2009

Japanese Bar Food

Jeff, Dad and I tried something a little different on Saturday night for dinner. We went to a place called Hagi for a quick meal.

I wish I had bothered to write down all we ate as it was completely different. Fried chicken skins, chicken balls (like meat balls...c'mon), chicken gizzards (surprisingly good though I will guess I wouldn't touch them if I saw them before they were cooked) were among the stranger items we ordered. There was some fish and a noodle dish thrown in to boot. And fried burdock (yummy).

We spent a lot of time just chatting and the meal prompted the Old Man to reminisce about his younger days and some of the food his mother prepared for him. Some stuff he recognized on the menu. It was a good family moment and something I wouldn't want to have missed for the world.

Jeff and I split two bottles of nigori as well...a stretch for me and I'm sure what helped send him on his long spiral toward an eventful train ride the next day.

No comments: