Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Reflections on another season of hockey

I was looking back through some of my older blog entries...particularly September of last year. It feels like we have come such a long way in our life. We are now seasoned parents. Our life with Emiko has settled and follows a standard routine. We continue to make plans for the future of this family rather than simply living in the here and now.

But what caught me most was my early realization that it would be difficult to leave home for hockey. This has changed over the past seven months but only for the worse. As Emi becomes more and more involved in the world around her, I find it even harder to be away from her during her waking hours.

Nonetheless, I have continued to work at night (and the day!). I was looking back at the past season. I am no longer the rookie official in the CHL and AHA. I have worked plenty of games but I still felt honored every time I was assigned another game.

I worked 12 pro games over the course of the season and 15 NCAA Div 1 games including 3 playoff games. It truly was a great season as I felt comfortable on the ice and felt like I belonged out there with great hockey players and great officials. The schedulers for both leagues have been phenomenal, allowing me flexibility since I had an infant at home and also had a wife completing her Master's.

And now? Hockey is, for the most part, over. I have a charity tournament to work this weekend and some adult clinics to help instruct and then I am pretty much off the hook for the rest of the summer.

What's ahead. Biking, for one. I got out for my first mountain bike ride of the season today. It was good to be out on the dirt and I had been avoiding those rides for fear of injuring myself during the hockey season. But now it is time to cut loose and have some fun. I also want to take some weekends and get Emi familiar with camping and the back of the Land Rover. We'll see how she does but I am positive she will enjoy it.

Summer is ahead and hockey is over. As much as I love the game, it is a much needed respite for myself and for Hope. I'm looking forward to an endless summer.

No comments: