Thursday, October 16, 2008

A new stone

I am prevailing upon myself to turn over a new stone while driving. As many know, I have traded cars with Hope (quite willingly) so that Emi always rides in the Volvo. Somehow, having the baby riding in the plastic car doesn't leave me with incredibly safe feelings.

That said, as happy as I am in being able to give my daughter one of the safest cars in the world to travel in, the Saturn leaves me quite grumpy as I drive the little beater around town. Compound this with my predilection for speed (yup...another speeding ticket in the Volvo last weekend) and I have realized the need to change something.

So...I have decided to see just how far I can drive the little Saturn on one tank of gas. Hope has said that the furthest she ever made it was 400 miles. I'm aiming for 500.

I have not yet taken off the roof rack. I have not yet aired the tires to maximum capacity. I have not yet done a tune up on the engine or replaced the engine oil with a lower viscosity. I have not yet replaced the air filter.

I have taken to shifting between 2 and 2.5 grand. I have taken to driving right at the speed limit. I have taken to coasting down inclines in neutral...sometimes with the engine off (depends on the traffic and other road conditions).

I will not draft. I will not run red lights or stop signs. I will not run below the speed limit. I will not try some of the nerdy stuff I have read that hypermilers do.

We'll have to see what is under this new stone....

No comments: