Thursday, October 16, 2008

Balance

Throughout life I have sought balance.

The balance between responsibilities and leisure. Obligations and desires. Education and sports. Friends, family and work.

Balance was found on two thin tires when riding my bike. Alone through the woods. In a two wheel drift on a loose corner. Along quiet highway shoulders. With Hope riding stoker on the tandem.

Balance was found on an 1/8 inch of steel. Carrying a stick. Blowing a whistle. Balance in making the call...or not making the call. All whilst balanced on an incredibly slippery surface.

But now I find myself searching for a new balance point. All the obligations, sports and leisure are getting shifted to the far side of the fulcrum as I grow into this new position as a parent.

The desire to stay at home to hold Emi and relax with Hope has an overwhelming draw. It seems as if it would be far too easy to fall into that parental trap and forget about some of the other passions of life. They all seem to pale in comparison.

The question is how to balance it all out. I'm still searching....

No comments: