Monday, January 4, 2010

Ray Lamontagne - solo at Ellie Caulkins Opera Hall

This post was started 11/18/09...I only came back to it today.

Hope and I just returned from a lovely night out. We planned this moons ago, asked Molly to cover our house, dog (oh yeah, and baby) for the night while we spent the evening out listening to Ray sing. We even managed to acquire a chaperon just in case we got too wild!

Ray manages to get better and better every time we see him. In fact, I would prefer good live recordings of his concerts over his albums and day of the week. And he was so involved with the audience tonight; he brought us into his world.

This on top of the fact that his concerts always bring me back to a time when I was here in our house alone for a few weeks. Listening to his music. Writing a song of my own that would ultimately redefine my life the moment I finished the lyrics. So much of his music inspired my own. And as we drove home tonight, Hope pointed out how his music has been with us in every stage of our relationship here in Colorado. It is very comforting and very emotional all at the same time.

While I was enjoying his music, I also spent time thinking about my blog. Thinking about hockey. Thinking about my closest friends who mean the world to me.

I'm pondering a change in direction with the posts here on 1/2" Hollow. For quite some time, it has simply been a recorder for my random musings. And then it began to record the first steps I took as a father. Now, with Emi walking circles around me, I am contemplating how these random thoughts could become lessons for her, a chance for her to know who her father was before she was born and to see how I morphed into a parent from the guy who was lucky enough to convince her mother to marry him.

I spent time thinking about hockey. The beauty of the game. How it has come to mean so much to me and how I have been lucky enough to be blessed with many opportunities in this game.

My friends. Oh, my friends. Those with us and those who have passed on. Those who make our days so much easier, especially when we do not have family nearby to help out with our daughter. Near and far, I feel like I don't get to see my friends often enough. Other things in life limit my time and my travels. Something needs to be done about that....


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!