Sunday, January 17, 2010

Lesson Plan 2 - MLK Jr

Emiko, every year, my mother, your Noni, sat us down on MLK day, made us a cake for MLK's birthday, and we discussed what MLK meant to us.

My mother sent me the following email today.

Tomorrow is the celebration of Martin Luther King's birthday. Remember - ... they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character..."

Have we gotten any closer to this?

mom

I spent some time thinking her question before I responded.

Every day we are taking a step. Sometimes it is in the right direction, some days it isn't. For the most part, we are moving in the right direction.

Unfortunately, racism lives on, not only in our country but also in our world. And it is not only racism but discrimination too. Discrimination based on gender, skin color, income, sexual orientation, religion or political leaning.

I'd like to think that MLK would not want us to look back at him and his accomplishments. The civil rights movement he helped start was never about just him, he was not that selfish. I think he'd rather have us reflect on what WE have done and what WE need to do as individuals to move the civil rights movement forward.

It is a battle that is not yet over. Some day, the color of a person's skin will be irrelevant. Someones sexual orientation will some day have no bearing on their ability to profess their mutual love to the world. The religious right and the liberal left will eventually see that it isn't so much about beliefs as it is individuals core moral values that are shared by both sides.

We can all keep moving forward together under the inspirational memory of what MLK started. This great experiment of a nation we live in will ultimately be a leader in civil rights. We will remember MLK for his vision, his bravery and his guidance. His dream lives on in all of us.

I love you.

Dad

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Seth -
Thank you for this posting and or the one below about Anthony.

Your 'lesson' for Emi is well done and I too hope that she will get to read it sometime.

One of my favorite songs from Crosby Stills Nash and Young plays over in my head as I read this blog (and as I move through life past, present and future)
'... Teach your children well,
Their father's hell did slowly go by,
And feed them on your dreams
The one they picked, the one you'll know by. ...'

Love, m

smukai said...

Thanks Ma!