Thursday, July 9, 2009

7/8/09 - 37 Years

It's funny, anniversary dates have not meant much to me in the past. Perhaps since, for the longest time, I did not have one. I was aware that family, friends and colleagues would celebrate the yearly occurrence but the significance of these dates was quite ethereal to me. It almost seemed to me like just another year to be viewed with the same irrelevance which I regard my birthday.

But as I grow, I learn.

It is not simply another year. An anniversary is the celebration of life together. Love shared. Hardships overcome. Joy seen from a pair of eyes that also see as one.

Days often seem to fly by and intermingle with the next. It is not often that we slow down and take pause to reflect on the life we lead as individuals, as pairs and as groups. And it is oh so important to remember to not let life pass us by but to relish each of the days life grants to us.

I spent a few days at home in the past week visiting with family. I saw my childhood house as a place that does not only harbor old memories for my parents. They have continued to add new memories to the house. Rock walls. A patio. Bee hives. Running water.

And I now look at my parents with greater awe. The life they continue to create and nurture with each other. The guidance they can offer to me as a new parent who aspires to follow their lead. I realize what an accomplishment it is to spend 37 years together and to continue to be happy, in love and never tired of each others company.

Happy anniversary Mom and Dad!

No comments: