Monday, December 1, 2008

Preparation Part Deux

Preparation...

The evening I wrote the last "Preparation" post, I was getting ready for a big game. And I found myself chuckling quietly as I was getting ready.

You see, I decided to relace my skates. CC was playing Air Force and I wanted to make sure I was looking my best for the game. So I was putting in new laces. And as I relaced my skates, I realized I had found my idiosyncrasy.

Each skate is reverse laced perfectly. For those of you not in the know, rather than threading the lace through the bottom of the hole, I prefer my skates to be laced from the outside in. This locks the lace in place against the tongue as you tighten your boot and ensures that the skate does not become loose as you skate.

Additionally, I dress each lace so it is perfectly flat against the tongue of my skate. If it twists, I find you are more likely to end up with hot spots or, worse, lace bite. I once had lace bite so bad that just my pants resting against the bridge of my ankles was pure torture. Putting my skates on became pure hell.

And finally, when relacing my skates, I always lace them so the lace coming from the outside crosses over the top of the lace coming from the inside.

It's the little things!


No comments: