Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Preparation

We all go through things differently. We all have our little pre-game tics, routines, habits and superstitions.

Some guys like to always sit in the same seat in the locker room. It's up to guys like me to remember who I am working with and what bench my partners like to have. I'm not one who holds out for the same seat each time...I sit wherever there is an opening.

Some guys gear up the same way every time. They may always put the right skate on first. I remember one guy I played with always had to insert his hand through his elbow pad three times before he finally strapped up. I think I generally go left to right though it is only out of sheer habit that I do so. When I am thinking and catch myself doing so, I often switch up and gear up right to left.

Some guys like a pre-game nap. I'm a big fan though I am not always able to sneak those in as I am often at work. Hope is willing to let me nap at home when I have weekend game days but there are times when I simply can't even fall asleep.

Some guys like the pre-game meal. Me? As long as there is no marinara, I'm ok. But that is only because the red sauce tends to reflux on me when I am skating. I think I threw up in my mouth a little bit there.

My preparation? Usually I'm at work. And so, reverting back to my playing days, I like to wear the suit pants and shirt all day long. The tie goes on before I leave the building. It reminds me that I have something I need to do that coming evening. Something to focus on. Other than that, it's just another normal day with some additional fun and excitement at the end. And at home, I just like to spend as much time relaxing with my family as possible. It puts me in the right frame of mind and it reminds me why I am so involved in this game: I have something I need to be prepared pass along to my daughter.

Passion.

No comments: