Tuesday, January 17, 2012

MLK


MLK's birthday has always been a big thing with my mother. There was always a cake. There was always a discussion at the dinner table that night. There was always a great deal of respect for a man I know only through what history has told me.

Mom's message to us last night was that Paul McCartney had written Blackbird to honor and commemorate the struggles of black American's in the sixties. I had no idea.

Over the years, I have learned more about the man himself. His horseplay, his friends, the men and women who stood by his side in the face of such incredible adversity. Each generation has their heroes; this year, I found myself wondering who would take MLK's lead and walk us forward into our next American chapter. Whether it is eradicating homophobia, xenophobia, poverty, religious intolerance or any of the other major social issues we face on a daily basis, who will follow MLK's lead?

Winslow was already asleep when I arrived home last night. Emiko and I sat at the dinner table at talked about MLK. About how it was an important man's birthday. About how he struggled to make things right in a world where there was injustice, where some people were being "mean" to others. I struggled to find the right words to frame for her 3 year old intellect how MLK helped correct the course of history.

After we spoke, Emi turned to Hope and said, "Mommy, it is Martin Luther King's birthday today. Can we have cake?" My mother will be so proud.

He would have been 83 this year.

1 comment:

smukai said...

One of my best friends has a suggestion for who is carrying the torch now.

http://www.sunjournal.com/news/city/1138528