Sunday, March 14, 2010

Something Special

I got to see something special tonight. I was honored to be selected to work playoffs for the AHA this year and worked the home series for Air Force against Army. The Black and Blue rivalry is strong, storied and may be one of the best in all of college hockey.

Tonight's game was tight, tough and hard hitting. And it was close right up to the very end. But despite Air Force coming out ahead, I only saw winners on the ice when the final horn went off. Despite the agony of defeat, I saw future comrades embracing, congratulating and consoling each other in the handshake line. I saw some of our best and brightest pass before me.

And at the end, when the home team typically salutes their fans at center ice, both teams stood around the circle. Both teams saluted the fans. Finally, both teams took their respective blue lines and stood stock still while both alma maters were played.

And that was the final piece that got me. Despite the rivalry, despite the athletic aggression that took place on the ice, they will soon be looking after each other. All of them will serve our country in the coming years. These young men truly will go to war together and will support each other regardless of the history that was made on the ice.

I was honored just to get to see both games and more honored to get to share the ice with these outstanding young men.

No comments: