Monday, March 21, 2011

Rubbernecking

Dad always told me to ignore what was going on at the side of the road...don't stare at the accident lest you cause another.

Typically, I avoid viewing disasters. I maintain focus, watch the other cars around me and move on.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I used to drive up Lookout Mountain every now and then. Usually when I needed to go seek clarity, I'd find a spot overlooking Golden and Denver and spend some time simply clearing my mind.

Around 10:30 tonight, I decided to climb into the old truck and go for a quiet drive. I saw all the traffic going up and down Lookout Mountain and somehow was drawn in. I made the turn up the hill and followed it all the way to the top...I'd never completed the drive to the top and I certainly don't think I have ever driven up in the Rover.

I found a safe spot to pull off and watch the fire burning across the canyon. From where I stood, I could clearly see multiple patches of fire and a distinct fire line. It was pretty awe inspiring. I contemplated how much fear and uncertainty must be going through the minds of many families whose homes are so close to the fire.

And then it struck me. This fire, it is nothing. Sure, tragedy may occur if some lives are lost, when some houses are lost and belongings consumed by the flames. But it is nothing...nothing compared to what is happening in Japan right now. Families here in Golden will have the opportunity to evacuate, to know why this has happened and they will find a way to cope.

In Japan, an enormous earthquake and tsunami have killed 8,000 people. 12,000 people are still unaccounted for. And this is saying nothing in regards to fallout from the nuclear disaster that is still playing out at Fukushima.

Perspective: there are 18,000 people living in Golden.

We should count ourselves blessed that we have the opportunity for a warning here at home.

No comments: