Thursday, February 12, 2009

Time for a change

I'll take you back to fall '08. It was a colder day and I broke out the barn coat for my morning commute to work. Hope took one look at the jacket and announced that it was time for me to retire my venerable coat.

I've had it ever since my mother purchased it for me at Reny's my senior year of high school. That's like fourteen years. Fourteen! I wore it through college, I've worn it to rinks, I've worn it to two jobs in the past 10 years.

But she was right. It was torn, stained, and threadbare in places. Time for a replacement.

So I started searching ("searching" being the masculine term for shopping). I wanted something that would last just as long, look relatively the same but offer a little more protection from the elements. I settled on finding a waxed cotton jacket and began searching LL Bean, Eddie Bauer, Cabella's and other various shops. To no avail.

And then the answer. Hoogie pointed out that he had a jacket from Filson that met all my requirements. A quick trip to the local Filson outlet was proof enough that it was the jacket I wanted. And then some!

With Hope's approval, I soon had my jacket on order. Mind you, this was in November. And I've waited patiently for everything to arrive. The wool liners came in first and the jacket itself arrived today. Appropriately, I wore my old barn coat this morning to keep the chill out, not knowing that my new jacket was about to show up. I'll miss the old one but I'm ready to make the change.


No comments: