Tuesday, April 16, 2013

The Streets of Heaven

Yesterday was undoubtedly a tough day for all of us to get through. Text messages and calls to make sure family and friends were safe. The emotions welling up for those murdered and injured. Anger at the injustice of it all.

We live in a society of volunteers who readily accept that they will be in harm's way. I am proud to say my two brothers-in-law have served in the military. I have friends who serve as police, firefighters, emergency medical personnel. Yesterday, we saw those in uniform running toward the blasts. We also saw race volunteers joining them. Tearing down barriers. Helping those injured. 

Standing in harm's way.

I am struck by the enormity of their heroism and bravery in the face of such tragedy and terrorism. I hope that we, as a society, can stand with the same bravery in the face of all the adversity we handle on a daily basis. Terrorism. Gun violence. The list goes on and on.

And finally, as I watched a raw video of those who ran to help, I am reminded of this scene from a favorite show:


Godspeed to those we lost yesterday.

.....

It's hard to suggest an aside to this. But as I was looking for the clip above, I found the following clip. Certainly a line stolen from the speaker to be used in a script. And this speaker was talking about another topic which has always been close to my heart as well.

No comments: