Friday, December 10, 2010

Major Faux Pas

Growing up, I was never good with names. When we took the 6 hour drive to New York to visit with my Mom's family, I would spend all 6 hours quizzing my mother on the names of all my relatives.

I have worked diligently over the years to develop ways to remember names of co-workers, distant friends, clients and many others. I rely on repetition, mnemonics and outright cheating (check the cell phone...check FaceBook...check the notes on my hand) in order to make sure I don't get caught without a name.

It all failed on me tonight.

A repeatedly called a friend I work with the wrong name tonight. When she called me on it, I completely blanked and could not conjure up her name. A name I usually was able to find without even thinking about it.

I failed.

All I could do was apologize.

Many times in life, I have felt like a jackass. Tonight, I would have been lying if I said I felt like a jackass.

I was the jackass.

Kelsey, I am so sorry. While this is not who I am, it IS who I am. I work so hard to cover up my difficulty with remembering names and tonight, it all fell apart.

I am so sorry. I can't begin to think of what I can do to make it right and I can't begin to tell you how much shame I feel.

No comments: