Thursday, June 24, 2010

Firsts

I've been meaning to write this down for weeks now. Then again, it seems as if there have been so many "firsts" as of late that I'm having a hard time keeping track of all of them in my head.

Emiko and I were out playing in the Land Rover a few weeks back, just as she always loves to. She understands how the key works to unlock the door. She understands that the key goes in the ignition. This one time, she asked me to start the truck and I obliged from the passenger seat. I watched Emi pretend to drive and flip switches from the passenger seat. After several minutes of idling, I killed the engine and handed her the keys (she loves holding keys). I turned my attention to some old tapes in the backseat and then heard the starter kick and the engine catch. I turned back to see Emi smiling up at me saying, "I did it."

Yes, you did. No more keys for you....

A good friend loaned us a pair of hockey skates for Emi. I brought them home after reffing one night and set them in the bedroom before climbing into bed and drifting off to sleep. The next morning, I called Emi into our room when she awoke me. I told her I had a "gift." She came in with her eyes sparkling and I showed her the skates. She promptly sat down in my lap and told me to put them on her feet. The moment we had the skates laced up, she stood up and began to walk off. I scrambled to catch her and hold her hand but she was already walking all over the place. I spent the rest of my morning before work trying to convince her to let me take them off.

I love this little girl.

No comments: